Other Academic Questions

Applying to PKU Shenzhen
Where do I get information about Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School?
The most convenient way is through the Internet. You will find a lot of information on Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School on our website, as well as on each of our school’s websites: Peking University, HSBC Business School and the School of Transnational Law.
In addition, you should visit the following website for general information about studying in China: China Scholarship Council

What is the application procedure?
Submit your application before the deadline indicated by each school on their websites. For the 2020-2021 academic year, the deadlines were as follow:
School of Transnational Law: March 31
Peking University HSBC Business School: March 31

Each school’s admission committee will select qualified applicants and potentially invite them to attend interviews, either face-to-face or over the phone. If your application is successful, your admission letter will be sent to you by the end of June for an admission in August of the same year.

Can I apply online?
Yes, Peking University uses online applications for international students.
-Visit the application website
Refer to each school's individual website for best procedures on completing application. We recommend getting into contact with an administrator.

Are all the classes taught in English?
Yes, all the classes in your program are taught in English. Some programs require a minimum level of English (TOEFL or IELTS).

Who should I contact if I have any question on the application process?

School of Transnational Law
Kim Zhong
Tel: (86755) 2603 5325


Cole Agar
Tel: 86 755 2603 1484

HSBC Business School
Nicole Chastagner

Tel: 86 0775 2603 6197

Can I pay the application fee and tuition by credit card?
We can only accept credit or debit cards issued by Chinese banks. Please note that all charges (tuition and fees) must be paid in RMB. You can also either wire funds to the school account or open a bank account once you arrive in China and transfer funds from here. Travelers' checks are not recommended are they take a very long time (about one month) to process in China.

Can I apply for a scholarship or any financial assistance?
You may apply for a scholarship from the Chinese Government or Peking University. Your school might also offer scholarship to its students, contact the administrators of your program for more details.

Entering China
How do I get my student visa to China?
You should apply for a student visa at a Chinese Embassy or Consulate abroad. We will assist our admitted students in their visa application. For more information on visa procedures see our visa and entry page.

Is the university’s admission letter enough to apply to my visa?
You also need the JW201 or JW202 form that we will send to you together with your admission letter. Depending on your nationality and the circumstances, your local Embassy or Consulate may also require additional documents, please contact them directly.

Do I need to get any vaccines before I come?
A yellow fever vaccination certificate is required from travelers coming from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission. China does not recommend a yellow fever vaccine when entering its territory. Malaria risk in China is limited to the provinces of Hainan and Yunnan (not including urban areas). China does not require travelers to provide an International Certificate of Vaccination (ICV). For more information, consult the WHO website.
You will be required to take a physical examination on your arrival in China as part of the residence permit process (and to get a medical certificate when applying for your student visa).

How do I get to PKU Shenzhen?
All information on how to get to the PKU Shenzhen, from Shenzhen International Airport, Hong Kong International Airport, or Shenzhen main train station is on PKU Shenzhen website.

How do I register my residence?
All foreigners in China must register with local police within the first 24 hours of their arrival. This registration can now be done online  through the app Wechat. For students living on campus, there will be a QR code on your dorm room door for you to use to register your residence. If you register online you must print a copy the completed registration form. This form should be on your person, as well as your passport, at all times during your stay in China.

Please follow these instructions for how to register through WeChat.

Academic Calendar
What is the university calendar in PKU Shenzhen? When does each semester start and finish?
PKU Shenzhen’s academic year is comprised of two semesters: the Fall Semester and the Spring Semester. The duration of both semesters is 18 weeks each. The fall semester usually starts at the end of August or the first days of September. The Spring Semester starts after the winter break (about four weeks, based on the lunar calendar).

Download the 2017-2018 Academic Calendar

Download the 2018-2019 Academic Calendar

Download the 2019-2020 Academic Calendar

Applying for Leave
You should if possible apply for a leave in advance. You will be required to fill a leave request form (or a ‘suspension of studies’ form), or to come in person to your school to get a copy. The form must be signed, dated and submitted to the administrative officer in charge of international students at your school. If you aren’t on campus, you can submit a scanned copy by email to the administration.

If your leave of absence is to last at most one week, your application needs to be approved by your school’s administration. For leaves longer than one week, your application must also be approved by your school's Dean in charge of education and PKU Shenzhen.

Students returning from absence shall register at the Administration Office at your school before their leave of absence is due. If students require for an extension of absence, they are requested to go through the same procedures as with their first application.

If you were to miss one third or more of a specific course’s classes, you are not eligible to sit for the final exam for that course and will receive a failing grade.

Absence of medical reasons: you must submit a medical certificate together with your application. If your cumulative absences for medical reasons were to last for more than one third of a semester, your case shall be reported to PKU Shenzhen to discuss your suspension.
International Students are recommended to go back to their home country to receive medical treatment and to pursue their studies upon recovery, as attested by a medical certificate.

Absence for personal reasons: students having accumulated over one month of excused absences due to personal reasons in a semester (and did not apply for a suspension) will be asked to withdraw from the university.

Suspension of studies: students having completed all their credits at the exception of their thesis or doing an internship can apply for a suspension of studies. This suspension can be for one or several modules and must last for at least one module. The procedure to apply for a suspension of studies is the same as to apply for a leave.
Other Academic Questions
For all other questions related to academics, please contact your school’s administration. For HSBC Business School students, you can view a FAQ for your school here.